While deploying DARs using Composer I started running into weird errors. The most common error was DM_SESSION_E_CLIENT_AUTHENTICATION_FAILURE. It was showing up across multiple clients.
Coincidentally, I had made a change to a lifecycle around that time and I got misled to believe that the lifecycle change caused the problem. After going down that path for several hours I ended up looking at the JBoss log. It indicated problems related to ports not being available.
So, I shut down all Documentum services and checked the ports. The ports 9080, etc. were still being used. I used
netstat to look up the processes listening on ports using this command:
netstat -a -b -n
And I used Process Explorer to get the details by process ID. That confirmed that this particular
java.exe was indeed running JBoss.
I killed the process and started the Documentum services again. Everything seems to be back to normal now.