I was facing this problem intermittently – my wireless network connection would get stuck on “Acquiring Network Address” even though I hadn’t changed anything in network settings. Typically, this would happen after coming back from Standby. I use Windows XP Professional and the wireless router is D-Link DI-524. The only solution I knew would be to reboot the machine.
When even a reboot wouldn’t fix it, I would go to My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adapters and uninstall the wireless adapter. Rebooting would install it back and the connection would work.
Today, I got stuck as none of these approaches would fix the problem. So I went out Googling and found the following solution that worked for me:
Control Paneland select
Add or Remove Programs
Add/Remove Windows Components
Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client
Save these settings and restart the system.
I have not seen the problem again since making this change.